5 Ways to Keep Your Pressure Washer Working Like New
It’s no secret that pressure washers are one of the most versatile pieces of equipment you can own. They’re perfect for cleaning everything from driveways and sidewalks to decks and patios. At H2O Power Equipment, we tell our customers that even the best pressure washer can’t function properly if it isn’t properly maintained.
Here are a few tips to keep your pressure washer working like new for years to come:
1. Check the oil level regularly. Just like any other piece of machinery, pressure washers need oil to function properly. Most models have an oil level indicator on the side of the engine, so be sure to check it before each use. If the oil level is low, add more oil until it reaches the “full” line.
2. Prepare your power washer for extended storage. If you’re not going to be using your pressure washer for a while, it’s important to properly prepare it for storage. Start by draining the fuel tank and then running the engine until it runs out of gas. This will prevent the fuel from gumming up the carburetor and ruining the engine. When you’re not using your pressure washer, be sure to store it in a cool, dry place. Extreme temperatures can damage the engine and other parts.
3. Clean the filters & screens regularly. Quality pressure washers have multiple filters & screens – air filter for the engine and a series of water filters and mesh screens at the water inlet and float tanks. These need to be inspected and cleaned regularly to ensure that the pressure washer is working properly. The tiniest bit of debris in/on a water filter or mesh screen can render a pressure washer useless. The air filter should be replaced every few months, while the water filters can typically be cleaned with a good rinsing or with soap.
4. Don’t forget about the hose. The hose on your pressure washer is just as important as the other components of your machine. Be sure to inspect it regularly for cracks or leaks. If the hose is damaged, it could cause water to leak out and damage the pump. At H2O Power Equipment, we can help you to find and purchase the replacement parts you need to keep your pressure washer working like new.
5. Use high-quality cleaning fluids and apply downstream. When it comes to cleaning fluids, not all are created equal. Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners that are not designed for pressure washers. These can damage the pump and other parts, especially when applied upstream of the pump. Instead, stick with high-quality cleaners that are specifically designed for pressure washers and go with a downstream chemical injector. The great news is, H2O Power Equipment stocks the best detergents for every job, whether it’s vehicle washes, degreasers, aluminum brighteners, hood & duct cleaners, graffiti removal products, or general purpose cleaners.
By following these simple tips, you can keep your pressure washer running like new for years to come! H2O Power Equipment specializes in selling high-quality pressure washers and cleaning fluids, and we want to help you protect your investment. Visit our website, stop by our showroom, or give us a call today to speak with one of our service experts to help you with your pressure washing needs!